Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What A Difference A Week Makes


There is an old song, "What a Difference a Day Makes." It's an old saying as well but it is nonetheless true. However, a week can literally change one's life.

On Wednesday, I interviewed for a position as a doctoral student. On Thursday I'd like to say I was gainfully employed but that would necessitate a lie. It rained. Friday the basement slab was poured. On Saturday, my little grandson scored 2 points in what will soon be his new bedroom. We actually had sun in Astoria. Hence the shadows!

The beginning of the week, Sunday and Monday, found me playing catch up. Tuesday I tore out sheetrock, which moves us just a bit closer to actually moving back into our home. I do what I can.

But this morning my life stopped and started again. I woke, smiled at the sound of hammers, sat up in bed in the RV, and turned on my computer. There was an email from Julie. I didn't open it. My life was in that email. I read another instead. Then when sufficiently awake, I clicked on Julie's email. I read it. Tears sprang to my eyes. I joggled my husband awake and explained that nothing was wrong for the look on his face expressed concern at the tears cascading down my cheeks.

"What? Are you..."
"I got in!"
"What?"
"I got in. I got in. I got in. I'm a doctoral student at Aberystwyth University in Wales. We leave in September!"

Needless to say he was relieved that no one had died and after congratulations, he spent the rest of the morning researching Aberystwyth and its environs. I spent the next few hours posting to my various cohorts, compatriots, mentors, family, and fellow Jack Kent Cooke Scholars that I had been accepted. My joy was full... not so...

For I was unprepared for the outpouring of love and congratulations that arrived via email and Facebook from around the globe. I have heard it said that one can judge the wealth of one's life through one's friends. If this is indeed true, then I am a very wealthy woman.

As the day progressed, the builders continued framing. I tore out wet, previously mouse infested insulation but... I smiled the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment